I am finally able to get around to posting this. It’s been crazy busy with work, posting daily poems, and writing my second novel-it’s a whole big thing. Can there be two of me, please??
Anyway… I’ve been nominated twice for this, and I have to say, I’m honestly quite flattered. I’ve never been nominated for anything like this, so I may or may not have done a happy dance. :)
Since being nominated by both John Guillen and Mahaga, I’ve met some pretty cool people, so thank you guys!
11 Facts about good old Mel:
- I have performed twice on stage as a slam poet. I was so incredibly nervous the first time. But, a lady come up to me at intermission and told me it was so touching and that I had a true gift. I cried.
- I LOVE and I mean LOVE dance. I took hip hop dance classes for 3 years and performed on stage once. That was awesome too. My close friends and family came and brought flowers for me. I felt totally legit.
- My two favorite shows of all time are: So You Think You Can Dance and Friends. I’m almost positive I can quote every single episode of Friends…from all ten seasons. Yes, I’ve watched it that much.
- I’m a hopeless romantic. I have a set movie night once a month with a few close girlfriends of mine and we watch classic movies. I’m talking the *le sigh, I want my love life to resemble this dreaminess we’re currently watching* ie: Casablanca, Sabrina, Gone with the Wind, Funny Face, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Apartment… Well, you get the point ;)
- Although I’m a hopeless romantic, I will watch literally any genre of movie. I’m a huge superhero geek, so when the most recent Captain America 2 came out, I watched it in 3D, twice. And stood till the end of the credits. Didn’t you know, Marvel comic movies, Stan Lee, there’s always something after the credits!
- I have three tattoos. My most recent was back in October. It’s on my forearm and the words are: “I refuse to sink”. It’s my favorite tattoo and one I share with an author best friend of mine. <3
- Makeup. Beauty. YouTube Videos. All of it. I love. And when I say love, I’m talking when I really try to get all gussied up, allot a two to three hour window before I’m ready. Hair and makeup has to look fab, duh. :) I also watch no less than three beauty YouTube videos a night. Nope. I don’t have a problem, what do you mean??
- I changed the main character’s name of my book at least five times. Which then spiraled to every other character being changed. There is only one name that stood through all of the changes. My beta readers would respond with, “Of course you did, you’re the queen of changing names.” Whenever I hit them with a new one lol.
- I’m Puerto Rican… but am not fluent in Spanish. Working on it though.
- I live to inspire people. Even if I’m having the shittiest day of all days, I will still try to lift someone else up. You never know how much a person can need a kind word, or to read a touching quote. I honest to God want for someone to say to me one day: “Because of you, I didn’t give up.” My life would complete. That would make me richer than I’ve ever been in my entire life.
- I have not always been a poet. I actually didn’t even know I could write poems. My first actual poem came a little over a year ago after reading one of the most epic books I’ve ever read called Slammed by Colleen Hoover. The poetry and the story involved in the book was simply brilliant. I’m most proud of that poem because a friend of mine posted my review of the book to the author’s FB page. In turn the author liked my review so much she sent me signed freaking copies of her book! I cried then, too.
Lord I was born a ramblin’ man…. (The Allman Brothers Band).. Now for the 11 questions to answer:
1. What kind of music do you like to listen to while writing, if any at all?
I listen to all kinds of music when I write. Certain songs will inspire certain scenes. As long as music is on, I’m good to go.
2. What is it about writing that keeps you going, even when you’re not sure you want to continue?
My readers and fans. Hands down, no question about it. The fact that people enjoy something that came from my mind and are itching for more, literally blows my mind. In the best way possible. :)
3. Who is your favorite author?
Well, damn. I don’t have just one. There are so many. Off the top of my head, I’m going to go with Paulo Coelho. I’m currently reading “The Alchemist” and this man is otherworldly.
4. What genre do you read, but swear you’ll never write?
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Haha, jk. But seriously. Vampires and werewolves, I enjoy reading them (The Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost check it out. So good), but not willing to take it on. Also YA. I enjoy a good story line, but my characters are more rated R. Plus, I like the freedom that comes with writing adult characters.
5. What do you do when you tell yourself something along the lines of ‘I’ll only procrastinate a little bit longer’?
Since it’s been happening more often than not lately, I watch my tivo. SO many good shows I just can’t keep up with! :/
6. What brings you right into a writing mood, and how do you keep it that way?
Lots of things I suppose. Music, my characters. Sometimes, I just have to dive in, even if I don’t feel like it, within a few minutes, I’m lost in my own story.
And my writing sanctuary/vanity: (I love the peace it brings me!)
7. Favorite series, and favorite stand alone?
I have a few favorites series and probably stand alones. Let’s see: The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, Gabriel’s Inferno series by Sylvain Reynard (seriously, EPIC writing.) Slammed series by Colleen Hoover, The Dark Duet series by CJ Roberts (it’s so dark and twisted and I love it.). Hmm stand alones…I haven’t read it yet, but I’m going to call it now, based on what I know of it, what I’ve heard of it, and how it’s gutted people: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
8. Have you ever seriously screwed up your sleeping schedule because of a book? Was it worth it, and what were you reading?
Who hasn’t?? Lol. The last time I can recall jacking up my sleeping schedule for a book was when I read Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan. Couldn’t put it down. Read it in one sitting and don’t know how I made it to work the next day.
9. What do you do to remember those ideas you come up with when you’re not able to write?
I usually put a note in Evernote on my phone, or email it to myself. Then add it to an idea sheet I have saved on my USB to come back to at a later time to see if it fits with my story line still. If it’s a completely different idea for a book, rinse and repeat :)
10. Are there any books or series that you thought were great, and then the ending just ruined everything for you?
The Hunger Games. I didn’t finish all three, but one of my friends slipped and told me everything because she thought I had finished. Nope. Wasn’t a fan of the series closure. I do like the movies though. So far, the movies have been pretty attuned to the books in my opinion.
11. Why do you write?
Because it soothes my soul.
- Real Talented
- The Stark Comma
- Emma Guinness Writing
- Shadow of Iris
- Alana Munro Author
- Art Gland
- Become Empowered
- Best Makeup Beauty
- Keith Garrett Poetry
Okay so those are my nominations. Diverse and fun to follow! I’m supposed to come up with 11 more questions, but as it is late, and I still have to write my daily poem, you can answer the same ones I did :)